[ClusterLabs] Antw: Coming in Pacemaker 1.1.17: container bundles

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Mon Apr 3 14:47:33 UTC 2017

On 04/03/2017 02:12 AM, Ulrich Windl wrote:
> <981d420d-73b2-3f24-a67c-e9c66dafb48f at redhat.com>:
>
> [...]
>> Pacemaker 1.1.17 introduces a new type of resource: the "bundle". A
>> bundle is a single resource specifying the Docker settings, networking
>> requirements, and storage requirements for any number of containers
>> generated from the same Docker image.
>
> I wonder: Is a "bundle" just a kind of special "group template"? It looks as if I could do it with a group also, but would have to write a bite more to get it configured. Did I miss something?

With a group, you could reproduce most of this functionality, though it
would be more verbose: you'd need to configure ocf:heartbeat:docker,
ocf:heartbeat:IPaddr2, and ocf:pacemaker:remote resources, plus a
primitive for your service, as well as constraints that restrict the
primitive to the guest node and prevent any other resource from running
on the guest node.

However, this can do something that a group can't: launch multiple
instances of a single container image, while associating floating IPs
and storage mappings specific to each replica. This puts it somewhere
between a group and a specialized form of clone.

Also, it will be shown differently in the cluster status, which is helpful.