[ClusterLabs] cross DC cluster using public ip?

Jan Friesse jfriesse at redhat.com
Thu Oct 13 03:30:48 EDT 2016

neeraj ch napsal(a):
> Hello ,
>
> We are testing out corosync and pacemaker for DB high availability on the
> cloud. I was able to set up a cluster with in a DC using corosync 1.4 and
> pacemaker 1.12. It works great and I wanted to try a cross DC cluster. I
> was using unicast as multicast was disabled by default.
>
> I was not sure how Corosync behaves with public IP's but I still went ahead
> and tried it with both public IP's as well as DNS names. These DNS names
> resolve as local IP when the other node is with in the same subnet.

Every node has to be able to see every other node. So mixing of public
and private ips is not going to work (with exception of special case
where all private ips are in the same network). Also keep in mind config
file has to be same on all nodes.

> while I was using public IP's both the node inside the same subnet as well
> as outside were unable to connect, except for itself. While using DNS names
> the membership information showed the nodes within same subnet being
> connected to while the nodes outside were not connected

This is somehow expected.

> My corosync config is as follows.
>
> totem {
>        version: 2
>        secauth: off
>        threads: 0
>        interface {
>
>                 member {
>                    memberaddr: <public ip>
>                 }
>                member {
>                    memberaddr: <public ip>
>                 }
>                 member {
>                    memberaddr: <public ip>
>                 }
>                 ringnumber: 0
>                 bindnetaddr: 172.31.0.0
>                 mcastport: 5405
>                 ttl: 1
>        }
>        transport: udpu
> }
>
> logging {
>        fileline: off
>        to_stderr: no
>        to_logfile: yes
>        to_syslog: yes
>        logfile: /var/log/cluster/corosync.log
>        debug: on
>        timestamp: on
>        logger_subsys {
>                 subsys: AMF
>                 debug: on
>        }
> }
>
> service {
>          # Load the Pacemaker Cluster Resource Manager
>          name: pacemaker
>          ver: 1
> }
>
> amf {
>        mode: disabled
> }
>

> I am checking membership information by using corosync-objctl. I have also
> tried using public ip as the bind address , that makes the membership from

Just to make sure. This "public" ip is really ip of given machine?