[ClusterLabs] Antw: RES: Performance of a mirrored LV (cLVM) with OCFS: Attempt to monitor it

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Fri May 27 16:37:21 UTC 2016

On 05/27/2016 12:58 AM, Ulrich Windl wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Thanks for this info. We actually run the "noop" scheduler for  the SAN
> storage (as per menufacturer's recommendation), because on "disk" is actually
> spread over up to 40 disks.
> Other settings we changes was:
> queue/rotational:0
> queue/add_random:0
> queue/max_sectors_kb:128 (manufacturer's recommendation, before up to 1MB
> transfers were seen)
> queue/read_ahead_kb:0
>
> And we apply those setting (where available) the the whole stack (disk
> devices, multipath device, LV).
>
> Regards,
> Ulrich

I don't have anything to add about clvm specifically, but some general
RAID tips that are often overlooked:

If you're using striped RAID (i.e. >1), it's important to choose a
stripe size wisely and make sure everything is aligned with it. Somewhat
counterintuitively, smaller stripe sizes are better for large reads and
writes, while larger stripe sizes are better for small reads and writes.
There's a big performance penalty by setting a stripe size too small,
but not much penalty from setting it too large.

Things that should be aligned:

* Partition sizes. A disk's first usable partition will generally start
at (your stripe size in kilobytes * 2) sectors.

* LVM physical volume metadata (via the --metadatasize option to
pvcreate). It will set the metadata size to the next 64K boundary above
the value, so set it to be just under the size you want, ex.
--metadatasize 1.99M will get a metadata size of 2MB.

* The filesystem creation options (varies by fs type). For example, with
ext3/ext4, where N1 is stripe size in kilobytes / 4, and N2 is $N1 times
the number of nonparity disks in the array, use -E
stride=$N1,stripe-width=$N2. For xfs, where STRIPE is the stripe size in
kilobytes and NONPARITY is the number of nonparity disks in the array,
use -d su=${STRIPE}k,sw=${NONPARITY} -l su=${STRIPE}k.

If your RAID controller has power backup (BBU or supercapacitor), mount
filesystems with the nobarrier option.