[ClusterLabs] Resource failure-timeout does not reset when resource fails to connect to both nodes

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Fri May 13 17:47:14 EDT 2016

On 03/28/2016 11:44 AM, Sam Gardner wrote:
> I have a simple resource defined:
>
> [root at ha-d1 ~]# pcs resource show dmz1
>  Resource: dmz1 (class=ocf provider=internal type=ip-address)
>   Attributes: address=172.16.10.192 monitor_link=true
>   Meta Attrs: migration-threshold=3 failure-timeout=30s
>   Operations: monitor interval=7s (dmz1-monitor-interval-7s)
>
> This is a custom resource which provides an ethernet alias to one of the
> interfaces on our system.
>
> I can unplug the cable on either node and failover occurs as expected,
> and 30s after re-plugging it I can repeat the exercise on the opposite
> node and failover will happen as expected.
>
> However, if I unplug the cable from both nodes, the failcount goes up,
> and the 30s failure-timeout does not reset the failcounts, meaning that
> pacemaker never tries to start the failed resource again.

Apologies for the late response, but:

Time-based actions in Pacemaker, including failure-timeout, are not
guaranteed to be checked more frequently than the value of the
cluster-recheck-interval cluster property, which defaults to 15 minutes.

If the cluster responds to an event (node joining/leaving, monitor
failure, etc.), it will check time-based actions at that point, but
otherwise it doesn't. So cluster-recheck-interval acts as a maximum time
between such checks.

Try lowering your cluster-recheck-interval. Personally, I would think
30s for a failure-timeout is awfully quick; it would lead to continuous
retries. And it would require setting cluster-recheck-interval to
something similar, which would add a lot of computational overhead to
the cluster.

I'm curious what values of cluster-recheck-interval and failure-timeout
people are commonly using "in the wild". On a small, underutilized
cluster, you could probably get away with setting them quite low, but on
larger clusters, I would expect it would be too much overhead.