[ClusterLabs] Warning: handle_startup_fencing: Blind faith: not fencing unseen nodes

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Wed Dec 14 13:12:21 EST 2016

On 12/14/2016 11:14 AM, Denis Gribkov wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Our company have 15-nodes asynchronous cluster without actually
> configured FENCING/STONITH (as I think) features.
>
> The DC node log getting tons of messages like in subject:
>
> pengine:  warning: handle_startup_fencing:  Blind faith: not fencing
> unseen nodes

This is logged because you have set "startup-fencing: false".

It's logged as a warning because that setting is potentially dangerous:
a node that hasn't been seen by the cluster is not necessarily down --
it could be up and accessing shared resources, but unable to communicate
with the cluster. The only safe action is for the cluster to fence the node.

As of Pacemaker 1.1.16, the message will be logged only once. Before
Pacemaker 1.1.16, it is logged once per node, every time Pacemaker
checks the cluster state.

Of course, having "stonith-enabled: false" is also dangerous, because
fencing is the only way to recover from certain error conditions.