[ClusterLabs] question about dc-deadtime

Chris Walker christopher.walker at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 15:00:48 EST 2016

Hello,

I have a quick question about dc-deadtime.  I believe that Digimer and
others on this list might have already addressed this, but I want to make
sure I'm not missing something.

If my understanding is correct, dc-deadtime sets the amount of time that
must elapse before a cluster is formed (DC is elected, etc), regardless of
which nodes have joined the cluster.  In other words, even if all nodes
that are explicitly enumerated in the nodelist section have started
Pacemaker, they will still wait dc-deadtime before forming a cluster.

In my case, I have a two-node cluster on which I'd like to allow a pretty
long time (~5 minutes) for both nodes to join before giving up on them.
However, if they both join quickly, I'd like to proceed to form a cluster
immediately; I don't want to wait for the full five minutes to elapse
before forming a cluster.  Further, if a node doesn't respond within five
minutes, I want to fence it and start resources on the node that is up.

With Pacemaker/Heartbeat, the initdead parameter did exactly what I want,
but I don't see any way to do this with Pacemaker/Corosync.  From reading
other posts, it looks like people use an external agent to start HA daemons
once nodes are up ... is this a correct understanding?

Thanks very much,
Chris