[ClusterLabs] Can Pacemaker monitor geographical separated servers

Andrei Borzenkov arvidjaar at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 14:08:14 UTC 2016

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 9:40 PM, bhargav M.P <mpbhargav at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have deployment where we have two Linux servers that are geographically
> separated and they are across different subnets . I want the server to work
> in  Active/Standby mode . I would like to use pacemaker-corsync for
> performing switch over when active fails.

While it is technically possible, such configurations are usually
implemented using loosely coupled local clusters. See
http://clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.1/html/Pacemaker_Explained/ch15.html
for details. But this depends on many factors, including distance
between sites.

> My requirement:
>  would like to have a single virtual IP address for accessing the Linux
> servers and only active must have VIP(virtual IP address)

You can't move IP address into different subnet and expect it to work.
You would need to implement something like VXLAN, but then your
servers are in the same (VXLAN) subnet. You can configure same
resource with different IP addresses on each site and use e.g. DDNS to
update it.