[ClusterLabs] Freezing/Unfreezing in Pacemaker ?

Jan Pokorný jpokorny at redhat.com
Fri Apr 8 14:09:55 EDT 2016

On 07/04/16 09:12 -0500, Ken Gaillot wrote:
> On 04/07/2016 06:40 AM, jaspal singla wrote:
>> As we have clusvcadm -U <resource_group> and clusvcadm -Z <resource_group>
>>  to freeze and unfreeze resource in CMAN. Would really appreciate if
>> someone please give some pointers for freezing/unfreezing a resource in
>> Pacemaker (pcs) as well.
>
> The equivalent in pacemaker is "managed" and "unmanaged" resources.
>
> The usage depends on what tools you are using. For pcs, it's "pcs
> resource unmanage <resource_name>" to freeze, and "manage" to unfreeze.
> At a lower level, it's setting the is-managed meta-attribute of the
> resource.

Depending on the context, such as when you don't want the resource
manager just to stop taking care about the resource/group, but rather
want it to be kept down (preventing its comeback), you can also
disable/enable instead of freeze/unfreeze.

Admittedly, this semantic difference is somewhat lost in my artifical
cluster properties taxonomy mapped to both RGManager and Pacemaker
approach:

https://pagure.io/clufter/blob/master/f/__root__/doc/rgmanager-pacemaker/03.groups.txt#_219

> It's also possible to set the maintenance-mode cluster property to
> "freeze" all resources.

(Hmm, this is not covered from this perspective well either:
https://pagure.io/clufter/blob/master/f/__root__/doc/rgmanager-pacemaker/01.cluster.txt)

--
Jan (Poki)