[ClusterLabs] [ClusterLab] : Unable to bring up pacemaker

Sriram sriram.ec at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 11:28:44 EDT 2016

Dear All,

I m trying to use pacemaker and corosync for the clustering requirement
that came up recently.
We have cross compiled corosync, pacemaker and pcs(python) for ppc
environment (Target board where pacemaker and corosync are supposed to run)
I m having trouble bringing up pacemaker in that environment, though I
could successfully bring up corosync.
Any help is welcome.

I m using these versions of pacemaker and corosync
[root at node_cu pacemaker]# corosync -v
*Corosync Cluster Engine, version '2.3.5'*
Copyright (c) 2006-2009 Red Hat, Inc.
[root at node_cu pacemaker]# pacemakerd -$

*Pacemaker 1.1.14Written by Andrew Beekhof*

For running corosync, I did the following.
1. Created the following directories,
    /var/lib/pacemaker
    /var/lib/corosync
    /var/lib/pacemaker
    /var/lib/pacemaker/cores
    /var/lib/pacemaker/pengine
    /var/lib/pacemaker/blackbox
    /var/lib/pacemaker/cib

2. Created a file called corosync.conf under /etc/corosync folder with the
following contents

totem {

        version: 2
        token:          5000
        token_retransmits_before_loss_const: 20
        join:           1000
        consensus:      7500
        vsftype:        none
        max_messages:   20
        secauth:        off
        cluster_name:   mycluster
        transport:      udpu
        threads:        0
        clear_node_high_bit: yes

        interface {
                ringnumber: 0
                # The following three values need to be set based on your
environment
                bindnetaddr: 10.x.x.x
                mcastaddr: 226.94.1.1
                mcastport: 5405
        }
 }

 logging {
        fileline: off
        to_syslog: yes
        to_stderr: no
        to_syslog: yes
        logfile: /var/log/corosync.log
        syslog_facility: daemon
        debug: on
        timestamp: on
 }

 amf {
        mode: disabled
 }

 quorum {
        provider: corosync_votequorum
 }

nodelist {
  node {
        ring0_addr: node_cu
        nodeid: 1
       }
}

3.  Created authkey under /etc/corosync

4.  Created a file called pcmk under /etc/corosync/service.d and contents
as below,
      cat pcmk
      service {
         # Load the Pacemaker Cluster Resource Manager
         name: pacemaker
         ver:  1
      }

5. Added the node name "node_cu" in /etc/hosts with 10.X.X.X ip

6. ./corosync -f -p & --> this step started corosync

[root at node_cu pacemaker]# netstat -alpn | grep -i coros
udp        0      0 10.X.X.X:61841     0.0.0.0:*
9133/corosync
udp        0      0 10.X.X.X:5405      0.0.0.0:*
9133/corosync
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     148888
9133/corosync       @quorum
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     148884
9133/corosync       @cmap
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     148887
9133/corosync       @votequorum
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     148885
9133/corosync       @cfg
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     148886
9133/corosync       @cpg
unix  2      [ ]         DGRAM                    148840 9133/corosync

7. ./pacemakerd -f & gives the following error and exits.
[root at node_cu pacemaker]# pacemakerd -f
cmap connection setup failed: CS_ERR_TRY_AGAIN.  Retrying in 1s
cmap connection setup failed: CS_ERR_TRY_AGAIN.  Retrying in 2s
cmap connection setup failed: CS_ERR_TRY_AGAIN.  Retrying in 3s
cmap connection setup failed: CS_ERR_TRY_AGAIN.  Retrying in 4s
cmap connection setup failed: CS_ERR_TRY_AGAIN.  Retrying in 5s
Could not connect to Cluster Configuration Database API, error 6

Can you please point me, what is missing in these steps ?

Before trying these steps, I tried running "pcs cluster start", but that
command fails with "service" script not found. As the root filesystem
doesn't contain either /etc/init.d/ or /sbin/service

So, the plan is to bring up corosync and pacemaker manually, later do the
cluster configuration using "pcs" commands.

Regards,
Sriram