[ClusterLabs] Fencing questions.

Jan Pokorný jpokorny at redhat.com
Tue Oct 20 20:37:00 UTC 2015

On 19/10/15 10:51 -0400, Digimer wrote:
> On 19/10/15 06:53 AM, Arjun Pandey wrote:
>> 2. Fencing test cases.
>>  Based on the internet queries i could find , apart from plugging out
>> the dedicated cable. The only other case suggested is killing corosync
>> process on one of the nodes.
>> Are there any other basic cases that i should look at ?
>> What about bring up interface down manually ? I understand that this is
>> an unlikely scenario but i am just looking for more ways to test this out.

Recurring topic, for instance:
http://clusterlabs.org/pipermail/users/2015-October/001567.html
(scroll down under second item)

As a corollary, you should make sure this scenario is indeed unlikely
(e.g., because of NetworkManager activity).

[...]

>> 4. Fencing agent to be used (fence_ipmilan vs fence_ilo4)
>> Also for ILO fencing i see fence_ilo4 and fence_ipmilan both available.
>> I had been using fence_ilo4 till now.
>
> Which ever works is fine. I believe a lot of the fence_X out-of-band
> agents are actually just links to fence_ipmilan, but I might be wrong.

Correct; for instance, see the description above the following
table/anchor:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Cluster_Administration/ap-fence-device-param-CA.html#tb-software-fence-ipmi-CA
+
https://github.com/ClusterLabs/fence-agents/blob/v4.0.21/fence/agents/ipmilan/fence_ipmilan.py#L147

Similar to fence_ilo + fence_ilo2:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Cluster_Administration/ap-fence-device-param-CA.html#tb-software-fence-hpilo-CA
+
https://github.com/ClusterLabs/fence-agents/blob/v4.0.21/fence/agents/ilo/fence_ilo.py#L88

Also note that there can be sophistication on top of plain duplication;
some default parameters can be internally adjusted as per how the
agent is invoked:
https://github.com/ClusterLabs/fence-agents/blob/v4.0.21/fence/agents/ipmilan/fence_ipmilan.py#L130

--
Jan (Poki)