[ClusterLabs] Coming out of Maintenance mode restarts all the service

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Fri Nov 6 11:55:08 EST 2015

On 11/06/2015 03:44 AM, Karthikeyan Ramasamy wrote:
> Hello Users,
>   We have a cluster setup with Pacemaker and are trying node addition dynamically in maintenance mode.   When coming out of maintenance mode, there is a restart of all the services managed by Pacemaker.  We see a stop and start command issued for each of the service.  This is observed in dl360 environment.
>
>   When we tried originally in a different environment(a sb6270 machine), coming out of maintenance mode just sent a start command and came back with already running status.
>
>   Is this behavior of restarting services environment specific or are we missing something in the new environment?  (We are still checking for the difference in steps performed).  In the meantime, if some other user could provide us hints, it would be very helpful.
>
> Thanks,
> Karthik.

Do I understand right: you add a new node to the cluster when in
maintenance mode, then when you turn maintenance mode off, all services
are restarted on all nodes?

I wouldn't expect that, but I've never tried it myself.

Are all your resources clones that are ordered after each other, without
interleave=true? Then that behavior would be expected, because to start
each clone on the new node, I think it would have to stop everything
that depends on it first.

Or, if any services are already running on the new node, that could
potentially lead Pacemaker to consider them failed, since it hasn't
assigned them to it yet. That could trigger a recovery across all nodes.