[ClusterLabs] 4 node, 2 cluster setup with separated applications

Andrei Borzenkov arvidjaar at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 05:47:18 EDT 2015

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 12:31 PM, Wynand Jansen van Vuuren
<esawyja at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a different question please, let say I have the following
> 4 - nodes, 2 clusters, 2 nodes per cluster, so I have in the west of the
> country Cluster 1 with cl1_lb1 and cl1_lb2 as the nodes, in the east of the
> country I have Cluster 2 with cl2_lb1 and cl2_lb2 as the nodes

According to output you provided you have single cluster consisting of
4 nodes, not two clusters of 2 nodes each.

> I have 3 different applications, Postgres, App1 and App2, App1 uses a VIP to
> write to Postgres, App2 uses Apache2
>
> Can I do the following
> cl1_lb1, runs Postgres streaming with App1 VIP in Master/Slave configuration
> to cl2_lb1
>
> cl1_lb1, cl1_lb2, cl2_lb1 and cl2_lb2 all runs App2 and the VIP round robin
> for the Apache page
>
> So my question is actually this, in this configuration, in the corosync.conf
> file, what would the expected_votes setting be, 2 or 4? and can you separate
> the resources per node? I thought the node_list, rep_mode="sync"
> node_list="cl1_lb1 cl2_lb1" in the pgsql primitive would isolate the pgsql
> to run on cl1_lb1 and cl2_lb1 only, but it does not seem to be the case, as
> soon as I add the other nodes to the corosync configuration, I get this
> below
>
> cl1_lb1:/opt/temp # crm_mon -1 -Af
> Last updated: Thu Mar 19 11:29:16 2015
> Last change: Thu Mar 19 11:10:17 2015 by hacluster via crmd on cl1_lb1
> Stack: classic openais (with plugin)
> Current DC: cl1_lb1 - partition with quorum
> Version: 1.1.9-2db99f1
> 4 Nodes configured, 4 expected votes
> 6 Resources configured.
>

> Online: [ cl1_lb1 cl1_lb2 cl2_lb1 cl2_lb2 ]
>

> Node Attributes:
> * Node cl1_lb1:
>     + master-pgsql                        : -INFINITY
>     + pgsql-data-status                   : LATEST
>     + pgsql-status                        : STOP
> * Node cl1_lb2:
>     + pgsql-status                        : UNKNOWN
> * Node cl2_lb1:
>     + master-pgsql                        : -INFINITY
>     + pgsql-data-status                   : LATEST
>     + pgsql-status                        : STOP
> * Node cl2_lb2:
>     + pgsql-status                        : UNKNOWN
>
> Migration summary:
> * Node cl2_lb1:
>    pgsql:0: migration-threshold=1 fail-count=1000000 last-failure='Thu Mar
> 19 11:10:18 2015'
> * Node cl1_lb1:
>    pgsql:0: migration-threshold=1 fail-count=1000000 last-failure='Thu Mar
> 19 11:10:18 2015'
> * Node cl2_lb2:
> * Node cl1_lb2:
>
> Failed actions:
>     pgsql_start_0 (node=cl2_lb1, call=561, rc=1, status=complete): unknown
> error
>     pgsql_start_0 (node=cl1_lb1, call=292, rc=1, status=complete): unknown
> error
>     pgsql_start_0 (node=cl2_lb2, call=115, rc=5, status=complete): not
> installed
>     pgsql_start_0 (node=cl1_lb2, call=73, rc=5, status=complete): not
> installed
> cl1_lb1:/opt/temp #
>
> Any suggestions on how I can achieve this please ?

But it does exactly what you want - posgres won't be started on nodes
cl1_lb2, cl2_lb2. If you want to get rid of probing errors, you need
to either install postgres on all nodes (so agents do not fail) or set
symmetric-cluster=false.

> Regards
>

> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 7:32 AM, Wynand Jansen van Vuuren
> <esawyja at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>> Yes the problem was solved, it was the Linux Kernel that started Postgres
>> when the failed server came up again, I disabled the automatic start with
>> chkconfig and that solved the problem, I will take out 172.16.0.5 from the
>> conf file,
>> THANKS SO MUCH for all the help, I will do a blog post on how this is done
>> on SLES 11 SP3 and Postgres 9.3 and will post the URL for the group, in case
>> it will help someone out there, thanks again for all the help!
>> Regards
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 3:58 AM, NAKAHIRA Kazutomo
>> <nakahira_kazutomo_b1 at lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> As Brestan pointed out, old master can not come up as a slave is expected
>>> feature.
>>>
>>> BTW, this action is different from the original problem.
>>> It seems from logs, promote action succeeded in the cl2_lb1 after power
>>> off cl1_lb1.
>>> Was the original problem resolved?
>>>
>>> And cl2_lb1's postgresql.conf has the following problem.
>>>
>>> 2015-03-17 07:34:28 SAST DETAIL:  The failed archive command was: cp
>>> pg_xlog/0000001D00000008000000C2