[ClusterLabs] Antw: Re: Q: "migrating a clone" with crm shell

Kristoffer Grönlund kgronlund at suse.com
Wed Jun 3 05:11:21 EDT 2015

Ulrich Windl <Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de> writes:

> Nachricht <87mw0ifmz8.fsf at krigpad.kri.gs>:
>> Vladislav Bogdanov <bubble at hoster-ok.com> writes:

>>> May be it is the time to add that? :)
>>> '--ban' exists for years in crm_resource.
>>>

>> Done :) I have added a "resource ban" command.
>
> As I guess you also provided a help message, you could have posted the ouput
> of "help ban" for the curious and eager... ;-)
>
> Without knowing the details, Ijust wonder what the difference between
> "resource migrate" and "resource ban" will be (Even after having read the
> manual page of crm_resource).

Semantically, they are opposites. "resource migrate" means "move TO this
node", while "resource ban" means "move AWAY FROM this node". In the
case of regular resources, which you use becomes a matter of preference
only, and having both variants seems unnecessary. However, for clones,
you really need the second variant since the clone lives on multiple
nodes, so telling it to move to a particular node makes no sense.

Here is the help for the ban command:

Ban a resource from running on a certain node. If no node is given
as argument, the resource is banned from the current location.

See `migrate` for details on other arguments.

Usage: