[ClusterLabs] clustered MD - beyond RAID1

roger zhou zzhou at suse.com
Fri Dec 25 03:47:14 EST 2015

On 12/22/2015 10:33 AM, Tejas Rao wrote:
> On 12/21/2015 20:50, Aaron Knister wrote:

[...]
>> I'm curious now, Redhat doesn't support SW raid failover? I did some
>> googling and found this:
>>
>> https://access.redhat.com/solutions/231643
>>
>> While I can't read the solution I have to figure that they're now
>> supporting that. I might actually explore that for this project.
> https://access.redhat.com/solutions/410203
> This article states that md raid is not supported in RHEL6/7 under any
> circumstances, including active/passive modes.

OCFS2 or GFS2(same for GPFS, as the shared filesystem) over a shared
storage is a typical Cluster configuration for Linux High Availability.
Where, Clustered LVM (cLVM) is supported by both SUSE and Redhat to do
mirroring to protect the data. However, the performance loss is very big
and make people not so happy about this clustered mirror solution. This
is where the motivation for clustered MD solution comes from.

With clustered md, this new solution could provide nearly the same
performance as the native raid1. You may have interest to validate this
from your lab with your configuration;)

Cheers,
Roger