[Pacemaker] Pacemaker on system with disk failure

John Lauro john.lauro at covenanteyes.com
Thu Sep 25 09:38:13 EDT 2014

Had this problem with heartbeat too (couldn't even failover/takeover to good node because the other node was stuck in a particular state from the read only filesystem), and so I have my own system health checks that in this case will reboot the system if it detects a file system not behaving. Basically it runs:
echo b > /proc/sysrq-trigger
(also had this problem with non clustered filesystems.)

It's not that frequent, but for example a network hick-up on a SAN can cause it, especially if you leave the default timeouts...

(Probably don't have to use ksh, I just always do...)

Example filesystem-watchdog:
#! /bin/ksh

fst=/filesystem-test
st=/proc/sysrq-trigger

while true ; do
  /bin/touch ${fst} || echo b > $st
  [ ! -f ${fst} ] && echo b > $st
  /bin/rm -f ${fst} || echo b > $st
  [ -f ${fst} ] && echo b > $st
  sleep 20
done

(Just run the script in the background as a type of watch dog that will auto-reboot in case of problem...)

(My actual implementation is a bit more complicated, but the main points is to keep it simple enough that the entire script is kept in cache and that it doesn't have to read anything different such as /usr/sbin/init when the filesystem is broken).  This method is fine either as a background process with that while loop, or you could just do once a minute from cron, etc...

Once the node kills itself, all should be well as it will no longer be stuck in a state where it can't update it's status...

That said, pacemaker should figure out that it's filesystem is broke and shut itself down or something...

It's a bit of a kludge, but... it works... (haven't tested with pacemaker, but I assume it should help your case...)
Hope you find it useful.