[Pacemaker] Notification when a node is down

Ken Gaillot kjgaillo at gleim.com
Mon Sep 15 10:59:39 EDT 2014

On 09/12/2014 02:30 AM, Sihan Goi wrote:
> Is there any way for a Pacemaker/Corosync/PCS setup to send a
> notification when it detects that a node in a cluster is down? I read
> that Pacemaker and Corosync logs events to syslog, but where is the
> syslog file in CentOS? Do they log events such as a failover occurrence?

Pacemaker/corosync do extensive logging, even more so if debug is set to
on in corosync.conf. Syslog is configurable to log the messages however
you want; the default file locations vary from OS to OS.

Monitoring and notification are usually handled by a dedicated package
for that purpose, such as nagios, icinga, monit or zabbix. These
packages can monitor services on the nodes directly, as well as the
health of pacemaker itself. Here, we use icinga with Phil Garner's
check_crm plugin:

https://www.icinga.org/

https://github.com/dnsmichi/icinga-plugins/blob/master/scripts/check_crm

-- Ken Gaillot <kjgaillo at gleim.com>
Network Operations Center, Gleim Publications