[Pacemaker] Configuration recommandations for (very?) large cluster

Andrew Beekhof andrew at beekhof.net
Tue Aug 12 01:52:49 EDT 2014

On 11 Aug 2014, at 10:10 pm, Cédric Dufour - Idiap Research Institute <cedric.dufour at idiap.ch> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thanks to Pacemaker 1.1.12, I have been able to setup a (very?) large cluster:

Thats certainly up there as one of the biggest :)
Have you checked pacemaker's CPU usage during startup/failover?  I'd be interested in your results.

> Last updated: Mon Aug 11 13:40:14 2014
> Last change: Mon Aug 11 13:37:55 2014
> Stack: classic openais (with plugin)

I would at least try running it with corosync 2.x (no plugin)
That will use CPG for messaging which should perform even better.

> Current DC: bc1hx5a05 - partition with quorum
> Version: 1.1.12-561c4cf
> 22 Nodes configured, 22 expected votes
> 444 Resources configured
>
> PS: 'corosync' (1.4.7) traffic goes through a 10GbE network, with strict QoS priority over all other traffic.
>
> Are there recommended configuration tweaks I should not miss in such situation?
>
> So far, I have:
> - Raised the 'PCMK_ipc_buffer' size to 2MiB
> - Lowered the 'batch-limit' to 10 (though I believe my setup could sustain the default 30)

Yep, definitely worth trying the higher value.
We _should_ automatically start throttling ourselves if things get too intense.

Other than that, I would be making sure all the corosync.conf timeouts and other settings are appropriate.