[Pacemaker] fencing best practices for virtual environments

Alberto Menichetti albmenichetti at tai.it
Sun Sep 9 07:30:36 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I'm setting up a two-node pacemaker cluster (SLES-HA Extension) on
vmware vsphere 5.
I've successfully configured and tested the stonith plugin
"external/vcenter"; but this plugin introduces a single point of failure
in my cluster infrastructure because it depends on the availability of
the virtual center (which is, in the customer environment, a virtual
machine).
I was thinking to introduce an additional fencing device, to be used
when the virtual center is unavailable; is this a suggested deployment?
The fecing device I'd like to use is sdb.

Are there some best practices or validated configurations for a deploy
like this?

Thank you.
Alberto