[Pacemaker] Build dlm_controld for pacemaker stack (dlm_controld.pcmk)

Andrew Beekhof andrew at beekhof.net
Wed Nov 7 22:36:58 EST 2012

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Vladislav Bogdanov <bubble at hoster-ok.com> wrote:
> 05.11.2012 08:40, Andrew Beekhof wrote:

>>> Yes, but not for 1 nor for 2.
>>
>> Not quite. We used to ignore it for option 2, but not anymore.
>> Option 2 uses CPG for messaging.
>>
>>> I saw described behavior with both of
>>> them, but not with 3.
>>> That's why I decided to go with 3 which I think conceptually right.

>>> Sorry for being unclear.
>>> I saw that with both 1 and 2 (where pacemaker did not use CPG), until I
>>> "fixed" fencing at dlm layer for 1. I modified it to request fencing if
>>> "node down" event occurs and then did not see freezes anymore. From what
>>> I understand, "node down" CPG event occurs when corosync forms
>>> transitional membership (at least pacemaker logged lines about that at
>>> the same time with dlm freeze. And if stable membership occurs
>>> (milli-)seconds after transitional one, pacemaker (as of probable 1.1.6)
>>> did not fence re-appeared node. I can understand that - pacemaker can
>>> absolutely live with that. But dlm cannot.
>>
>> Right. Any sort of membership hiccup is fatal as far as the dlm is concerned.
>> But even with options 1 and 2, it should still make a fencing request.
>
> I'm afraid no. At least not with 3.0.17 or 3.1.7.

Actually the system as a whole does, but you have to know where to look.
Its fenced that triggers the node fencing on CPG change.

Look for

		if (left_list[i].reason == CPG_REASON_NODEDOWN ||
		    left_list[i].reason == CPG_REASON_PROCDOWN) {
			memb->failed = 1;
			cg->failed_count++;

in add_change() in fence/fenced/cpg.c

and later:

	/* failed nodes in this change become victims */
	add_victims(fd, cg);

Better understanding of these interdependencies is why we no longer
recommend starting cman via directives in corosync.conf - because that
wont start fenced and any other bits that are needed.

CTS has also improved to test the integration better.
We've spent a lot of time recently specifically making sure that
cman/fenced initiated fencing works just as well as pacemaker
initiated fencing does.

> Sources are clear
> about that - CPG node down event does not result in fencing requested by
> dlm_controld. And that was a major problem for me with options 1 and 2.
> One-line patch solved that though. But I decided that cman is a no-go
> for me anymore because such critical issues as proper fencing should be
> tested thoroughly and if they are not, then I will feel like sitting on
> a bomb with it.
>

>> Without fence_pcmk in cluster.conf that request might have gotten
>> lost, but with 1.1.8 I would expect the node to be shot - regardless
>> of whether the rest of Pacemaker thought it was ok.
>> Thats why going direct to stonithd was an important change.
>
> Aha. I tried cman last time before fence_pcmk was written (and before
> that fencing call dlm_controld.pcmk uses was modified to go straight to
> stonithd). I recall I was polishing option 1 that time (after throwing
> cman away), and first revision of that move did not work because it used
> async libstonithd call to fence a node. That's why I used direct calls
> to stonith in my version of dlm_controld.pcmk. All that resulted in
> fully-working stack and I decided to go with option 3 only after hearing
> from you that you do not test pacemaker with corosync1 yourselves anymore.
>
> That was second major problem with option 1 - before all that changes
> there was a possibility for fencing request to be dropped silently. And
> I actually hit that. I do not know if it fully works with stock 3.0.17
> dlm_controld.pcmk (I suspect no because of issue 1) but with my builds
> it is stable.
>
> Anyways, I seem to be happy with option 3 on EL6, it introduces clean
> and straight-forward model of cluster stack and it works perfectly, so I
> do not see any reasons to return back to option 1 or 2.

Happy to hear it.
I'm not actually trying to make you stop using it :)