[Pacemaker] Build dlm_controld for pacemaker stack (dlm_controld.pcmk)

Andrew Beekhof andrew at beekhof.net
Wed Oct 31 19:53:47 EDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 6:15 PM, Vladislav Bogdanov
<bubble at hoster-ok.com> wrote:
> 29.10.2012 19:51, Bernardo Cabezas Serra wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> disclaimer: I have posted this issue to linux-ha list too a couple of
>> days ago. I'm sorry if this is not the correct list, and thanks if you
>> can give me a hint about which cluster stack should I use for ocfs2 by now.
>>
>> I'm trying to compile all stack for corosync + pacemaker + dlm + ocfs2
>> (with dlm_controld.pmk), without cman stack. I'm following the "From
>> source" Pacemaker guide.
>>
>> After some days trying to compile the correct combination of
>> sources/versions, I have no success, and I'm not sure if at this moment
>> this is possible.
>>
>> The fist problem was that cluster removed support for dlm_controld with
>> pacemaker stack. Last version with support was 3.0.17.
>> But this was done some years ago, and as far as I have been able to
>> understand, things are still broken.
>>

>> The most relevant info found about this issue are these threads from
>> Andrew Beekhof and Vladislav Bogdanov, wich suggest to compile
>> dlm_controld from Cluster, applying some patches. They report it worked
>> (whith some remaining issues):
>>
>> http://oss.clusterlabs.org/pipermail/pacemaker/2009-October/003064.html
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/pacemaker@oss.clusterlabs.org/msg09959.html
>>
>> But most recent issue about this is a year ago, and seems that things
>> are still broken.
>> I haven't been able to compile, with lots of errors, so I'm currently
>> asking if this is the right way, becouse seems that nobody else is
>> willing to use this...
>
> I still run that on two clusters with post-1.1.7 pacemaker, but not with
> 1.1.8. Just looked, it is fe859a7 (Apr 11, two weeks after 1.1.7) with
> two dozens of cherry-picked patches. I should migrate them to
> corosync2/pacemaker-1.1.8 shortly.
>
> What exactly errors do you see? Pacemaker APIs used there received some
> changes between 1.1.7 and 1.1.8. I have one more patch which I tried
> with pacemaker master Aug 22 (close enough to 1.1.8, but some APIs
> changed again after that point). That version did not work for me with
> corosync14 because of bug fixed after that and I decided to move to
> corosync2 right after that failure to be more upstream-compatible. I
> can't say if it help you, but you may want to try. Should I post it?
>
> Main issue with "pcmk" version of all that daemons is that fs control
> daemons and dlm_controld require ability to request fencing. Originally
> it was done by calling some high-level pacemaker APIs
> (crm_terminate_member_no_mainloop()) and that did not work in some
> circumstances.
> Andrew developed brand-new stonith-ng subsystem which is used for
> fencing in that version of dlm_controld you talk about (with my patches
> on top of Andrew's patches).

crm_terminate_member_no_mainloop() should still work though
(specifically because I knew the old controld's used it).
You just need the (new) compatibility header and the result will be
/very/ reliable - there is no crmd/pengine involvement anymore, you go
straight to the fencing daemon.