[Pacemaker] Cannot Create Primitive in CRM Shell

Dan Frincu df.cluster at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 08:30:15 EST 2012

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 1:44 PM, Florian Haas <florian at hastexo.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Dan Frincu <df.cluster at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 11:24 PM, Andrew Martin <amartin at xes-inc.com> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am working with DRBD + Heartbeat + Pacemaker to create a 2-node
>>> highly-available cluster. I have been following this official guide on
>>> DRBD's website for configuring all of the components:
>>> http://www.linbit.com/fileadmin/tech-guides/ha-nfs.pdf
>>>
>>> However, once I go to configure the primitives in pacemaker's CRM shell
>>> (section 4.1 in the PDF above) I am unable to create the primitive. For
>>> example, I enter the following configuration for a DRBD device called
>>> "drive":
>>> primitive p_drbd_drive \
>>>
>>>   ocf:linbit:drbd \
>>>
>>>   params drbd_resource="drive" \
>>>
>>>   op monitor interval="15" role="Master" \
>>>
>>>   op monitor interval="30" role="Slave"
>>>
>>> After entering all of these lines I hit enter and nothing is returned - it
>>> appears frozen and I am never returned to the "crm(live)configure# " shell.
>>> An strace of the process does not reveal any obvious blocks. I have also
>>> tried entering the entire configuration on a single line with the same
>>> result.
>>
>> I would recommend going through this guide first
>> http://www.clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.1/html-single/Pacemaker_Explained/
>
> That's a bit of a knee-jerk response if I may say so, and when I wrote
> those guides[1] the intention was specifically that people could
> peruse them _without_ first having to check the documentation that
> covers the configuration internals.

I apologize if it came through as a "knee-jerk response" on my behalf,
if I don't understanding the technology I work with, I look at the
docs, that's why I always point others to the documentation as well.

I have followed the tech guides in reference many times and I'm not in
any way implying that they shouldn't be followed ad-literam, I've
explained in my previous statement why I recommend the docs.

Sorry for the noise.

> At any rate, Andrew, if your crm shell is freezing up when you're
> simply trying to add a primitive, something must be seriously awry in
> your setup -- it's something that I've not run into personally, unless
> the cluster was already responding to an error state on one of the
> nodes. Are you sure your cluster is behaving OK otherwise? Are you
> getting meaningful output from "crm_mon -1"? Does your cluster report
> it has successfully elected a DC?
>
> Cheers,
> Florian
>
> [1] Which I did while employed by Linbit, which is no longer the case,
> as they have asked I point out. http://wp.me/p4XzQ-bN
>
> --
> Need help with High Availability?
> http://www.hastexo.com/now