[Pacemaker] Cannot Create Primitive in CRM Shell

Florian Haas florian at hastexo.com
Mon Jan 9 06:44:55 EST 2012

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Dan Frincu <df.cluster at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 11:24 PM, Andrew Martin <amartin at xes-inc.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am working with DRBD + Heartbeat + Pacemaker to create a 2-node
>> highly-available cluster. I have been following this official guide on
>> DRBD's website for configuring all of the components:
>> http://www.linbit.com/fileadmin/tech-guides/ha-nfs.pdf
>>
>> However, once I go to configure the primitives in pacemaker's CRM shell
>> (section 4.1 in the PDF above) I am unable to create the primitive. For
>> example, I enter the following configuration for a DRBD device called
>> "drive":
>> primitive p_drbd_drive \
>>
>>   ocf:linbit:drbd \
>>
>>   params drbd_resource="drive" \
>>
>>   op monitor interval="15" role="Master" \
>>
>>   op monitor interval="30" role="Slave"
>>
>> After entering all of these lines I hit enter and nothing is returned - it
>> appears frozen and I am never returned to the "crm(live)configure# " shell.
>> An strace of the process does not reveal any obvious blocks. I have also
>> tried entering the entire configuration on a single line with the same
>> result.
>
> I would recommend going through this guide first
> http://www.clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.1/html-single/Pacemaker_Explained/

That's a bit of a knee-jerk response if I may say so, and when I wrote
those guides[1] the intention was specifically that people could
peruse them _without_ first having to check the documentation that
covers the configuration internals.

At any rate, Andrew, if your crm shell is freezing up when you're
simply trying to add a primitive, something must be seriously awry in
your setup -- it's something that I've not run into personally, unless
the cluster was already responding to an error state on one of the
nodes. Are you sure your cluster is behaving OK otherwise? Are you
getting meaningful output from "crm_mon -1"? Does your cluster report
it has successfully elected a DC?

Cheers,
Florian

[1] Which I did while employed by Linbit, which is no longer the case,
as they have asked I point out. http://wp.me/p4XzQ-bN

--
Need help with High Availability?
http://www.hastexo.com/now