[Pacemaker] Pacemaker multi node configuration

Andreas Kurz andreas.kurz at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 05:23:55 EDT 2011

Hello,

On 10/10/2011 10:17 AM, Luciano Sitzia wrote:
> Hello Andreas, you are 100% right about leaving an idle node instead of
> balancing all the VM
> Among all the four nodes. But the choice was to have and idle node that can
> guest all the
> VMs running the core business applications in the three production nodes. So
> even if all three
> Production nodes will go down all the core business applications will keep
> on running.
> Of course, when I will have clarified exactly how to setup the node in case
> of fault I
> Can try some different locations in case of fault.
>
> I hope you don't mind having a look at the attached doc. I followed the
> configuration
> found in "HA virtualization with KVM -ISCSI - Pacemaker" by Florian Hass,
> adding few
> lines in order to have the VM running only in the production node and if it
> will fail
> will keep on running on the backup node. As I have read, that all the nodes
> must to be active,
> my doubt is that the same VM will try start on two nodes at the same time.

That is the job of Pacemaker to not let this happen, of course every
person with administrative access to the cluster can start machines
manually ....

> Please let me know if the attached configuration can work or there is
> something missing.

You enable stonith but there is no definition for any stonith resource
in this conf and you really must not start a production setup including
shared storage without working stonith!

There is also no need to define scores for the backup_node as the
default of 0 will do its job.

And don't forget to adjust your action timeouts. The default of 20sec is
typically not enough for the migration and stop action of a VM.

> Thank you so much for helping me.

You are welcome!

Regards,
Andreas