[Pacemaker] Statefull firewall cluster Active/Pasive with conntrackd issues

CeR cer.inet at linuxmail.org
Tue May 10 20:03:21 EDT 2011

Hi there!

I'm working on a statefull firewall HA cluster (active/pasive) with
conntrackd as a ms resource. I'm sure some of you guys remember me from the
IRC channel :P

Some questions:

I'm doing some failback/failover test with the connection tracking systems.

CASE A: One of that test do the next:

1) Initialisation of a connection with a big file transfer with SCP across
the cluster.
2) "halt" the primary node. All resources moves to another node. That works
really fine.
3) The file transfer still working. Transparent to the end user.

CASE B: I want to be sure that the failback/failover is thanks to conntrackd
flow's-state-replication, so

1) Stop the conntrackd resource. All go fine.
2) Start the file transfer across the cluster.
3) Failover the node that has the IPVs. All resources moves to another
node.
4) The file transfer still working. Transparent to the end user.
¿¿¿¿¿¿?????? WTF

In the CASE B, without the conntrackd MS resource running, I supposed that
the new node being owner of IPVs will not have any knowlege about the state
of the flow (you know, NEW, ESTABLISHED,etc..). And this mean the firewall
has to block the transference.
But still transfering and the iptables rule being aplied.

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP 42 packets, 3336 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination
 741K 1075M ACCEPT     tcp  --  eth0   eth2    10.0.0.128
192.168.100.100     tcp spts:1024:65535 dpt:22 state NEW,ESTABLISHED
37498 2400K ACCEPT     tcp  --  eth2   eth0    192.168.100.100
 10.0.0.128          tcp spt:22 dpts:1024:65535 state ESTABLISHED

Any idea?

Regards!

--
/* Arturo Borrero Gonzalez || cer.inet at linuxmail.org */
/* Use debian gnu/linux! Best OS ever! */