[Pacemaker] Question: How many nodes can join a cluster?

Andrew Beekhof andrew at beekhof.net
Mon Oct 18 09:13:38 EDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 9:46 AM, Vogelsang, Andreas
<a.vogelsang at uni-muenster.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I’m creating a presentation about a virtual Linux-HA Cluster. I just asked
> me how many nodes pacemaker can handle. Mr. Schwartzkopff wrote in his Book
> that Linux-HA version 2 can handle up to 16 Nodes. Is this also true for
> pacemaker?

The algorithms in pacemaker place no theoretical limit on the number
of supportable nodes.
However in practice:
- corosync/heartbeat may impose some (iirc, corosync isn't recommended
much past 32)
- the CIB and PE may struggle in the presence of hundreds of resources

On the plus side, recent profiling of the CIB and PE made them much
more efficient and able to handle the workload:
   http://theclusterguy.clusterlabs.org/post/1241986422/large-cluster-performance

And we're working on the infrastructure needed to support resource
management on non-cluster nodes.