[Pacemaker] Corosync using unicast instead of multicast

Dan Frincu dfrincu at streamwide.ro
Thu Nov 4 04:02:26 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I'm having an issue with a setup using the following:
cluster-glue-1.0.6-1.6.el5.x86_64.rpm
cluster-glue-libs-1.0.6-1.6.el5.x86_64.rpm
corosync-1.2.7-1.1.el5.x86_64.rpm
corosynclib-1.2.7-1.1.el5.x86_64.rpm
drbd83-8.3.2-6.el5_3.x86_64.rpm
kmod-drbd83-8.3.2-6.el5_3.x86_64.rpm
openais-1.1.3-1.6.el5.x86_64.rpm
openaislib-1.1.3-1.6.el5.x86_64.rpm
pacemaker-1.0.9.1-1.el5.x86_64.rpm
pacemaker-libs-1.0.9.1-1.el5.x86_64.rpm
resource-agents-1.0.3-2.el5.x86_64.rpm

This is a two-node HA cluster, with the nodes interconnected via bonded
interfaces through the switch. The issue is that I have no control of
the switch itself, can't do anything about that, and from what I
understand the environment doesn't allow enabling multicast on the
switch. In this situation, how can I have the setup functional (with
redundant rings, rrp_mode: active) without using multicast.

I've seen that individual network sockets are formed between nodes,
unicast sockets, as well as the multicast sockets. I'm interested in
knowing how will the lack of multicast affect the redundant rings,
connectivity, failover, etc.

I've also seen this page
https://lists.linux-foundation.org/pipermail/openais/2010-October/015271.html
And here it states using UDPU transport mode avoids using multicast or
broadcast, but it's a patch, is this integrated in any of the newer
versions of corosync?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Dan