[Pacemaker] Managing resources - classes

Dejan Muhamedagic dejanmm at fastmail.fm
Thu May 28 13:33:57 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 03:59:49PM +0200, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
> On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 4:22 PM, Dejan Muhamedagic <dejanmm at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 08:42:06AM -0400, Eliot Gable wrote:
> >> http://clusterlabs.org/wiki/Documentation
> >>

> >> First, read this (probably ten times or so, since it won???t make complete sense and you will miss various details the first couple of times):
> >>
> >> http://clusterlabs.org/mediawiki/images/f/fb/Configuration_Explained.pdf
> >>
> >> Then, if you want to use the CLI, read this:
> >>
> >> http://clusterlabs.org/mediawiki/images/8/8d/Crm_cli.pdf
> >>
> >> Or check out any other links on that main documentation site.
> >>
> >> I strongly recommend you start out learning with the XML CIB
> >> and then, if you want, move to the CLI. Everything makes much
> >> more sense if you understand the XML stuff.
> >
> > I'll disagree here. The crm shell is there to let the vast
> > majority of people start working with Pacemaker without having to
> > read XML. And then also enable most of them never to think about
> > XML. crm should be able to represent all cluster configurations
> > without the XML scaffolding (and you won't miss much, it is
> > horrible anyway).
>
> oi! :-)
> its much better than it was in 0.6
>
> > In short, what would one gain by reading XML
> > instead of the stripped crm representation?
> >

> Without question the crm shell is the best tool for changing the configuration.
>
> I still find the stripped representation harder to read though - I
> seem to have trouble finding and focusing on the bits i'm interested
> in at the time.  But I've been starring at the full form for over 5
> years now, so that may not be surprising :-)

So, which part do you miss? :) Seriously, perhaps formatting
could be improved or something. I'm always listening. And,
frankly, I don't like the crm representation that much either,
but couldn't think of any better way at the time. Still, what it
makes it great for me is that I don't have to stare like a sheep
at XML, it always gives me headache.

Thanks,

Dejan