[Pacemaker] Managing resources - classes

Andrew Beekhof andrew at beekhof.net
Thu May 28 09:59:49 EDT 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 4:22 PM, Dejan Muhamedagic <dejanmm at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 08:42:06AM -0400, Eliot Gable wrote:
>> http://clusterlabs.org/wiki/Documentation
>>

>> First, read this (probably ten times or so, since it won???t make complete sense and you will miss various details the first couple of times):
>>
>> http://clusterlabs.org/mediawiki/images/f/fb/Configuration_Explained.pdf
>>
>> Then, if you want to use the CLI, read this:
>>
>> http://clusterlabs.org/mediawiki/images/8/8d/Crm_cli.pdf
>>
>> Or check out any other links on that main documentation site.
>>
>> I strongly recommend you start out learning with the XML CIB
>> and then, if you want, move to the CLI. Everything makes much
>> more sense if you understand the XML stuff.
>
> I'll disagree here. The crm shell is there to let the vast
> majority of people start working with Pacemaker without having to
> read XML. And then also enable most of them never to think about
> XML. crm should be able to represent all cluster configurations
> without the XML scaffolding (and you won't miss much, it is
> horrible anyway).

oi! :-)
its much better than it was in 0.6

> In short, what would one gain by reading XML
> instead of the stripped crm representation?

Without question the crm shell is the best tool for changing the configuration.

I still find the stripped representation harder to read though - I
seem to have trouble finding and focusing on the bits i'm interested
in at the time.  But I've been starring at the full form for over 5
years now, so that may not be surprising :-)