[Pacemaker] IPMI Stonith

Lars Marowsky-Bree lmb at suse.de
Tue Jan 27 18:44:29 EST 2009

On 2009-01-20T17:21:39, Adrian Chapela <achapela.rexistros at gmail.com> wrote:

> It is accessed over lan, you need a server with "IPMI over LAN" like
> Integrated Lights-Out from HP, most known as iLo (
> http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/ilo/ ). iLo has a
> network port that you can use to control a server remotely.
>
> I think a good way (if the server are near...) could be use a cross-over
> ethernet wire.

Cross-over of course doesn't work for more than 2 nodes ;-)

Usually, having the IPMI device on one of the cluster LANs suffices.

You need two failures for the cluster to freeze then: the IPMI LAN going
down, _and_ a node failure/additional network failure.

As the HA cluster tends to only protect against single failures (it is
usually very possible to construct a scenario of two failures which
bring down the entire cluster), that guarantee still holds.

It's all a question of paranoia of course, but k-fault-tolerance for k >
1 is really quite difficult in the general case, even though special
cases (ie, a 5 node cluster can tolerate 2 node failures) is possible.

Regards,
    Lars