[ClusterLabs Developers] Feedback wanted: proposed new copyright policy for Pacemaker

Kristoffer Grönlund kgronlund at suse.com
Thu Mar 14 08:56:08 EDT 2019

Ken Gaillot <kgaillot at redhat.com> writes:

> It was interesting to me at least that copyright notices do not affect
> copyright ownership at all; they are merely hints for who to go asking
> about it. Actual copyright ownership follows applicable laws and
> regulations, which for most countries say that copyright attaches to
> the author, or to the employer if the work was produced as a work for
> hire. (That of course is my non-lawyerly understanding of the matter.)

IANAL, but my understanding has become that laws care about intent, and
the technical details (which we as software developers love to obsess
over) don't really matter that much.

I really like the idea that "go look in the version control history"
works legally! That seems like the most sensible header in general, and
most likely to actually be correct over time.

--
// Kristoffer Grönlund
// kgronlund at suse.com