[ClusterLabs Developers] Easy opt-in copyright delegation assignment (Was: Feedback wanted: proposed new copyright policy for Pacemaker)

Jan Pokorný jpokorny at redhat.com
Mon Mar 11 19:50:04 EDT 2019

On 11/03/19 13:49 -0500, Ken Gaillot wrote:
> There's a pull request for the new policy in case anyone is interested:
>
> https://github.com/ClusterLabs/pacemaker/pull/1716

As I mentioned there, rhis could be a possible next evolution step, but
it's in no hurry (unlike the former one of reality reflection, perhaps):

> In an outlook, I'd like to also see some simplification regarding the
> opt-in desire to assign the respective portional copyright of the
> changesets to come to a designated other party, typically an employer,
> as a pragmatic (and voluntary loyalty) legalese measure.
>
> What was devised in a private discussion with Ken was adding an
> AFFILIATION.md file to the tree root, and mapping there
> (with enumeration or wildcards) the well-known "Signed-off-by"
> line email addresses to the respective recipient entity
> plus the start date it comes to effect for the particular item.
> Then, the pacemaker project would gain a clear semantics for
> Signed-off-by lines, and this copyright delegation would be
> trivial once established in AFFILIATION.md.

Also have more concrete wording for the projected AFFILIATION.md
file header to run by you, but that might be premature if there's
some early criticism about this idea as such (any other idea that
would still simplify the objective at hand?).

Also, is there possibly some collective wildcard-matching catch-all
consensus about this for particular companies with the active
involvement in the project, either due to policy or based simply
on an unisono agreement?

For instance, it seems that RH is relaxed about this topic, though
for myself as an employee tasked with this on-behalf-of-work, I'd
like to express my intention towards the company explicitly anyway
(as I'd normally do with new files I'd start on the project, at
least prior to proposed unification), for being rather pragmatic.

Feedback wanted on this as well, thanks in advance.

--
Jan (Poki)