[ClusterLabs Developers] If anybody develops against libpe_status.so: skipped soname bump (Was: Pacemaker 2.0.2 final release now available)

Jan Pokorný jpokorny at redhat.com
Fri Jun 14 14:55:35 EDT 2019

On 14/06/19 20:13 +0200, Jan Pokorný wrote:
> For the piece of mind, I am detailing the respective library that
> would likely have been eligible for an explicit soname bump and why.
> If you feel affected, please speak up so we have a clear incentive to
> publish a "hotfix" for downstreams and direct consumers, otherwise
> at least I don't feel compelled to anything immediate beyond this FYI,
> and we shall rather do it in 2.0.3 even if not otherwise justified
> with an inter-release delta, so there isn't a tiniest glitch possible
> when 2.0.2 is skipped on the upgrade path (which is generally not
> recommended but would be understandable if you happen to rely on
> those very libpe_status.so ABI details).

Of course, an alternative applicable right now (also suitable for
those who self-compile ... and use libpe_status.so in their client
code at the same time) and avoiding the soname bump is to add the
original symbols back, e.g. using

  __attribute__((alias ("original_name")))

for brevity.

--
Jan (Poki)