[ClusterLabs Developers] If anybody develops against libpe_status.so: skipped soname bump (Was: Pacemaker 2.0.2 final release now available)

Jan Pokorný jpokorny at redhat.com
Fri Jun 14 14:13:47 EDT 2019

> On Thu, 2019-06-06 at 10:12 -0500, Ken Gaillot wrote:
>
> Source code for the Pacemaker 2.0.2 and 1.1.21 releases is now
> available:
>
> https://github.com/ClusterLabs/pacemaker/releases/tag/Pacemaker-2.0.2
>
> https://github.com/ClusterLabs/pacemaker/releases/tag/Pacemaker-1.1.21

In retrospect (I know, everybody is a general once the battle is
over), called out for with some automated tests in Fedora, there were
some slight discrepancies -- depending on whether any external clients
of particular "wannabe internal" libraries of pacemaker accompanied
with "wannabe internal" headers, none of which are marked so expressly
(and in case of headers, are usually shipped in dev packages anyway).

For the piece of mind, I am detailing the respective library that
would likely have been eligible for an explicit soname bump and why.
If you feel affected, please speak up so we have a clear incentive to
publish a "hotfix" for downstreams and direct consumers, otherwise
at least I don't feel compelled to anything immediate beyond this FYI,
and we shall rather do it in 2.0.3 even if not otherwise justified
with an inter-release delta, so there isn't a tiniest glitch possible
when 2.0.2 is skipped on the upgrade path (which is generally not
recommended but would be understandable if you happen to rely on
those very libpe_status.so ABI details).

The mentioned ABI changes are:

* libpe_status.so.28.0.2 (2.0.1: soname 28.0.1)
  - include/crm/pengine/remote.h: function renames, symbolic notation:
    { -> pe___}{is_baremetal_remote_node -> is_remote_node,
                is_container_remote_node -> is_guest_node,
		is_remote_node -> is_guest_or_remote_node,
		is_rsc_baremetal_remote_node -> resource_is_remote_conn,
		rsc_contains_remote_node -> resource_contains_guest_node}

(all other ABI breaking changes appear self-contained for not
being related to anything exposed through what could be considered
a public header/API -- not to be confused with ABI)

Note that there's at least a single publicly known consumer of
libpe_status.so, but luckily, sbd only uses some unaffected pe_*
functions.  Said after-the-fact bump of said library would require
it to be rebuilt as well (and all the SW that'd be in the same
boat), so even less appealing to do that now, but note that
such rebuild will be needed with said planned bump for 2.0.3.

But perhaps, some other changes as announced in [1] will be faster
than that -- to that account, I'd note that perhaps applying
single source -> multiple binary copies of code scheme is not all
that bad and we could move some of shared internal only code into
static libraries subsequently used to feed the links from the
actual daemons/tools code objects -- or the private libraries
shall at least be factually privatized/unshared, i.e., put into
a private, non-standard location (this is what, e.g., systemd uses)
where only "accustomed" executables can find them.

[1] https://lists.clusterlabs.org/pipermail/developers/2019-February/001358.html

--
Poki