[ClusterLabs Developers] [libqb] heads-up: logging not working with binutils-2.29 standard linker (ld.bfd)

Valentin Vidic Valentin.Vidic at CARNet.hr
Thu Aug 3 18:50:52 UTC 2017

On Thu, Aug 03, 2017 at 07:23:20PM +0200, Jan Pokorný wrote:
> Yep, the same issue, because of compiling pacemaker with the same
> fancy linker that decided to hide those symbols without notices,
> I guess.
>
> Can you somehow scrape the number of project in Debian that
> suffer from __{start,stop}_<section> symbols missing?  That might
> help to convince binutils maintainers there's something wrong.

I only found a few recent bugs related to binutils 2.29, so it
doesn't seem to be widespread for now, but I will ask when the
next full rebuild of the archive might happen.

> Iterim non-production-ready solution (e.g. equivalent of Fedora
> Rawhide):
> - use patch(es) from
>   https://github.com/jnpkrn/libqb/commits/workaround-ld-2.29
>   above "Doc tweaking (#261)"
> - short path: generate and grab "qblog.t", build pacemaker
>   (and possibly other dependants) with LDFLAGS=<path to qblog.t>,
> - longer proper path:
>   . build updated libqb with that
>   . rebuild pacemaker on top of that rebuilt libqb
>     (hopefully it uses pkconfig and hopefuly the patched
>     libqb.pc will be OK, untested)
>
> Proper solution:
> - give me few days to investigate better ways to deal with this
>   fancy linker, it will likely differ from the iterim one above
>   (so far, I had quite miserable knowledge of linker script and
>   other internals, getting better but not without headaches);
>   we should also ensure there's a safety net because realizing
>   there are logs missing when they are expected the most
>   ... priceless

Thank you for the effort.  There is no rush here, we just won't
be able to upload new version to Debian unstable.

--
Valentin