[ClusterLabs Developers] Resurrecting OCF

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Mon Jul 18 12:13:42 EDT 2016

A suggestion came up recently to formalize a new version of the OCF
resource agent API standard[1].

The main goal would be to formalize the API as it is actually used
today, and to replace the "unique" meta-data attribute with two new
attributes indicating uniqueness and reloadability. We could also add
the fence agent API as a new spec, or expand the RA spec to cover both.

The Open Cluster Framework (OCF) was originally created in 2003 as a
working group of the Free Standards Group, which itself was absorbed
into the Linux Foundation in 2007. Today, OCF isn't even listed among
the Linux Foundation's workgroups[2].

The opencf.org domain name (and, IIRC, website) is owned by Linbit.

Does anyone have opinions about this, or suggestions about where to
start? Should we keep it on the mailing lists, and focus on the RA API?
Or should we figure out the status of OCF itself as an entity, and
resurrect it somehow?

[1]
http://www.opencf.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/specs/ra/resource-agent-api.txt?rev=HEAD
[2] http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups