[ClusterLabs Developers] License for fence-agents

Fabio M. Di Nitto fabbione at fabbione.net
Tue Jan 5 23:50:29 EST 2016

On 1/6/2016 12:18 AM, ollie at yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am curious to know why GPL was chosen as the license for fence-agents,
> and other ClusterLabs open-source works. As a follow-up question, was
> the Apache v3 license considered, and if so why was it not chosen? I am
> working with another open-source project that would like to use
> fence-agents but the GPL license does not play well with our Apache v3
> license. My ideal solution would be to have fence-agents move to Apache
> v3, but I know that's asking a lot.

As Andrew already mentioned, there should be no conflict in calling an
external binary with GPL licence from your application. How would you
handle glibc calls otherwise? or kernel.. or..

AFAICT this is a no-issue.

There are plenty projects that are not GPL that uses fence-agents already.

A relicense of fence-agents is not going to happen. Too many
contributors and too many people involved to chase them all down.

Fabio