[ClusterLabs] Upgrade to OLE8 + Pacemaker

Miroslav Lisik mlisik at redhat.com
Tue Oct 10 11:32:07 EDT 2023

Hi Qusay,

please, find respones in-line.

On 10/6/23 14:53, Jibrail, Qusay (GfK) via Users wrote:
> Hi,
>
> May I get an answer please?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> *––*
>
> *Qusay Jibrail*
>
> Senior Infrastructure Engineer – Linux | GfK IT Services
> GfK – an NIQ company |The Netherlands
> Krijgsman 22-25 | Amstelveen | 1186 DM
> T: +31 88 435 1232 | M: +31 628 927 686
>

> website
> <https://www.gfk.com/home?utm_campaign=global_all_2022_email%20signature&utm_source=email&utm_medium=signature&utm_content=>
>

> blog
> <https://www.gfk.com/blog?utm_campaign=global_all_2022_email%20signature&utm_source=email&utm_medium=signature&utm_content=>
>

> instagram <https://instagram.com/gfk.insider>
>

> linkedin <https://linkedin.com/company/gfk>
>

> youtube <https://www.youtube.com/user/GfKTube>
>

> twitter <https://twitter.com/gfk>

If you expect to start postfix in cluster on upgraded node "*server3*" it
will not start, because cluster will wait until it forms quorum with
the other node. The other node will not be able to communicate until it
is upgraded. One possible way how to start the possix resource would be
removing second node from the cluster configuration... This brings us
back to the one-node cluster solution which Tomas proposed.

Your soulution could work after solving some obstacles but you will not
have updated cluster configuration files. For example you will not
benefit from new corosync network transport layer knet. Therefore I
think, new cluster is a better solution.

I would create a new one-node cluster with resources and than i would
add second node by using command `pcs cluster node add` after second node
upgrade. This will make sure that cluster configuration files will be at
current state.

Example procedure could look like:
* backup configuration files (`pcs config backup`, /etc files...)
* put one node to standby mode by using command `pcs cluster standby` and
   check that all resources are moved to the other node (`pcs status`)
* stop the cluster on the node (`pcs cluster stop`)
* remove cluster configuration from the node (`pcs cluster destroy`)
* upgrade to OLE8 or do a fresh install (which will be easier)
* after reboot setup a new on-node cluster (`pcs host auth`, `pcs cluster
   setup`)
* start cluster (`pcs cluster start`)
* setup resources (`pcs stonith create`, `pcs resource create`)
* check that resources are working
* backup cofiguration files on the second node
* stop the cluster on the second node (`pcs cluster stop`)
* remove cluster configuration from the second node (`pcs cluster
     destroy`)
* upgrade or fresh install + reboot
* on the first node add the second node (`pcs host auth`, `pcs cluster
     node add`)
* check if added node is running resources (`pcs status`)

> We will have 2 days without load balancing.
>
> As the server will be rebooted during OLE8 upgrade, is it better to
> disable pacemaker, corosync and pcs services from starting after reboot?
>
> Or will it not start till I run the command pcs cluster *start*
> “server3” and pcs cluster *start* “server4”?

In order to prevent cluster start after a reboot you need to disable
pacemaker and corosync services by using command `pcs cluster disable`

Your status output shows that they are enabled:
```
Daemon Status:
   corosync: active/enabled
   pacemaker: active/enabled