[Pacemaker] best Way to build a 2 Node Cluster with cold Standby ?

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Fri Dec 12 08:34:46 EST 2014

On 12/12/2014 03:22 AM, Hauke Bruno Wollentin wrote:
> Hi Hauke,
>
> personally I won't use DRBD for a case like that because of the _missing_
> replication here.
>
> Imho your idea will work, but it would be easier to manage to use some kind of
> file synchronisation like rsync, unison etc. when the cold standby node comes
> up.

Agreed. I would say that cold standby isn't high-availability, so I
don't think any HA software would be the right tool for the job.

If you also (separately) do a full backup of the main server for data
backup purposes, more frequently than every two weeks, I would recommend
rsync'ing the standby server from the backups. That gives you a more
recent copy of the data in case you have to failover when the main
server has completely died, and it keeps the additional sync traffic off
the production server.

-- Ken Gaillot