[Pacemaker] Confused at the state of Linux Clustering..

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Mon Sep 16 14:13:43 EDT 2013

On 16/09/13 11:01, Errol Neal wrote:
> Hi. I'm trying to figure out EXACTLY what the process is for getting a cluster working on Ubuntu Raring.
> Most of the clusters I implemented required dlm-controld.pcmk, but I don't see this being shipped anymore in most distributions.
> I've tried to document a how-to for CentOS  on my blog at ha-guru.com, but its been broken by recent updates in pacemaker and incompatibilities so I'd like to update it for a hassle free implementation on say Ubuntu.
> The challenge is I'm really confused as to when and why I need CMAN and I'm trying to think about things like learning curve for adapting to the the "new" method for Linux-HA and etc.
>
> I'm generally using OCFS2 as my cluster fs. I'm may use DRBD and CLVM. Can someone point me in the right direction?

First up, I can't speak to Ubuntu as I last used it as a desktop 3 years
ago.

What I can say is that, under recent pacemaker/corosync, DLM (which cman
provided) was spun off as it's own component. DLM is needed by clustered
LVM and GFS2. If you don't plan to use these, you can totally ignore
cman/dlm. If you do though, then depending on where ubuntu is,
version-wise, you either need cman plugin for pacemaker or dlm itself.

I can't offer much more advice unless I get a better idea of what kind
of cluster you are building.

Cheers

--
Digimer