[Pacemaker] Tomcat and "unmanaged failed"

Andreas Kurz andreas at hastexo.com
Wed May 30 08:55:44 EDT 2012

Hi Andreas,

On 05/29/2012 04:14 PM, Stallmann, Andreas wrote:
> Hi there,
>

> we have here a corosync/pacemaker cluster running tomcat. Sometimes our
> application running inside tomcat fails and tomcat dies.
>

> This – for some reason I don’t understand – leads to an “unmanaged
> failed” state for tomcat diplayed in crm_mon. This would not been to
> bad, but at this point the cluster “decides” not to failover the
> resource to the second node.
>

> My questions:
>

> 1.       Is this a standard behaviour? Should a failover stop (or not
> take place at all), if a resource runs into an unmanaged failed state?

Yes, that is default behaviour ... Pacemaker tries to stop, that fails
so it must assume (worst case) it is still running, now STONITH would
trigger to make sure the node including the resource is definitely down
... without STONITH it stays unmanaged until cleared.

> 2.       What conditions have to apply, before a resource is called
> “unmanaged failed”?

e.g. stop failures ;-)

> 3.       Is there any way of an “automatic recover” of a resource that
> ran into an “unmanaged failed” state?

First attempt should be to fix your application. There is also the
"failure-timeout" resource meta-attribute ... in combination with the
cluster-recheck-interval cluster property, this clears resource failures
on a regular base.

Regards,
Andreas

--