[Pacemaker] offtopic scalable block-device

Florian Haas florian at hastexo.com
Fri Mar 16 12:30:42 EDT 2012

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 4:55 PM, Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb at suse.com> wrote:
> On 2012-03-16T13:36:34, Florian Haas <florian at hastexo.com> wrote:
>
>> > Would this not be more readily served by a simple while loop doing the
>> > monitoring, even if systemd/upstart aren't around? Pacemaker is kind of
>> > a heavy-weight here.
>> If you prefer to suggest a self-hacked while loop to your customers
>> I'm not stopping you.
>
> I didn't say "self-hacked", this could be a wrapper officially included.

Surely you've submitted one?

Actually, better still, you could submit a systemd job; as the Ceph
guys themselves seem to be focused more on upstart at this time.

> It just seems that pacemaker+corosync+... is overkill for watching the
> health of a single service on one node.

Up to 3 services, really, but that's a technicality.

> (And no, I think I wouldn't want to run pacemaker on my OSD cluster,
> because that doesn't scale.)

If *your* Ceph cluster needs to be 100 nodes plus, then you're right.
Mine don't.

> And, anyway, at this point in time, I'd tell my customers to skip
> ceph/RADOS for the next 6-12 months still, but to contact us off-list if
> they're interested in PoCs ;-)

Right. Feel free to point them to
http://www.hastexo.com/blogs/florian/2012/03/08/ceph-tickling-my-geek-genes
if they want a quick overview.