[Pacemaker] Convenience Groups - WAS Re: [Linux-HA] Unordered groups (was Re: Is 'resource_set' still experimental?)

Vladislav Bogdanov bubble at hoster-ok.com
Fri Apr 20 03:15:14 EDT 2012

20.04.2012 03:21, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 7:41 AM, Vladislav Bogdanov
> <bubble at hoster-ok.com> wrote:
>> 19.04.2012 20:48, David Vossel wrote:

One more sign that I go right way ;)

> Why the resource for granting/revoking the ticket though?

Initially - just to grant the ticket at the cluster start. This goal
will be obsolete once we have persistent tickets (or cluster-wide
attributes). But see below.

> I'd have thought it would be just as easy to manually grant/revoke the
> ticket as it would be to start/stop the fake resource.

My implementation of RA (which was designed before standby/activate
feature appeared) just uses pseudo-resource functionality to report
status at monitor op, so it tolerates manual intervention to tickets.

I'm about rewrite it a bit so it will check ticket existence at monitor,
and return OCF_SUCCESS if it exists, leaving to admin to play with
standby/activate. This is actually very low priority for me though.

I initially wrote that RA to solve one issue with HA lustre
proof-of-concept I'm currently working on, but then I realized that it
can be very useful to easily manage "stacks" of resources. F.e. I have
several tickets: drbd-local, drbd-stacked, drbd-testfs-local,
drbd-testfs-stacked, lustre and testfs. They are granted by Ticketer RA
at cluster start, and other resources depend on that tickets with
rsc_ticket (including f.e. drbd-stacked resource on drbd-local ticket
and so on), allowing me to:
* easily unmount all lustre parts for given fs (testfs), still leaving
stacked drbd resources in Master state, so I can do something with them
* unmount all lustre filesystems in one shot
* do the above plus demote all stacked resources if I need to manage
"local" drbd resources
* stop everything drbd-related in one shot
and much more.

I was asked by my employer to present my results with lustre at LinuxCon
in Barcelona this November, so hopefully I'll make interesting
presentation (including this trick with tickets) if everything goes
smooth with that. Everybody are welcome.

One more interesting "feature" (actually side-effect) with this RA: when
you stop Ticketer resource, current transition is aborted because ticket
is revoked. This allows me to guarantee that advisory ordering between
"higher" resources always works (with one more trick - extra advisory
ordering constraints between several Ticketer resources, this will also
be included in presentation).

I attach that RA here, so you're free to include it in pacemaker after
review.

Best,
Vladislav