[Pacemaker] init script VS pacemaker to start a service

Dominik Klein dk at in-telegence.net
Wed Jun 8 04:22:27 EDT 2011

On 06/07/2011 07:09 PM, CeR wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I have some doubts, hope you folks can help me.
>
> In a system I have two (or more) ways to start a daemon:
> A) /etc/init.d/ script. The service could be started by the system
> (/etc/rcX) or by me manually.
> B) The daemon has an executable with an argument option to run it as a
> daemon (like conntrackd, openvpn and many others)
> C) Other resources doesn't need /etc/init.d script nor an argument to
> run as a demon (at least IPaddr and IPv6addr)
>
> In the other hand, we have the OCF resource agent, who manage the
> service (start in one node, stop in another or whatever).
>
> What is really needed by the cluster stack to work well?

The agent, be it an OCF or LSB agent, has to implement the return code
specs (ie start an already started resource has to return a certain value).

You can read about OCF agent return code specs here:
http://linux-ha.org/doc/dev-guides/ra-dev-guide.html
LSB is here:
http://www.linux-ha.org/wiki/LSB_Resource_Agents

Regards