[Pacemaker] init script VS pacemaker to start a service

CeR cer.inet at linuxmail.org
Tue Jun 7 13:09:30 EDT 2011

Hi there!

I have some doubts, hope you folks can help me.

In a system I have two (or more) ways to start a daemon:
A) /etc/init.d/ script. The service could be started by the system
(/etc/rcX) or by me manually.
B) The daemon has an executable with an argument option to run it as a
daemon (like conntrackd, openvpn and many others)
C) Other resources doesn't need /etc/init.d script nor an argument to
run as a demon (at least IPaddr and IPv6addr)

In the other hand, we have the OCF resource agent, who manage the
service (start in one node, stop in another or whatever).

What is really needed by the cluster stack to work well? It depends of
the concrete case? I have take look into some RA and I see that some
resources are controlled directly with the binary. But i set up a
cluster that didn't work well until I put the /etc/init.d script.

Could you give me some clues? Maybe some documentation to read on about this?

Best regards!

--
/* Arturo Borrero Gonzalez || cer.inet at linuxmail.org */
/* Use debian gnu/linux! Best OS ever! */