[Pacemaker] Making utilizations dynamic

Michael Schwartzkopff misch at clusterbau.com
Tue Jan 25 08:35:40 EST 2011

On Tuesday 25 January 2011 13:41:19 Robert van Leeuwen wrote:
> > > The only thing to do that remains would be a daemon that switches off
> > > unused machines to save energy. But this could be done using STONITH
> > > agents.
> > >
> > > Basically this would be an option to make cloud computing really green!
> > >
> > > Please mail me your comments about this idea. Thanks.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> >
> > No reply, no comments? Nothing at all?
>
> Hello Michael,
>
> Although in theory the idea is sound I use the cluster suite primarily for
> customers demanding high availability. Adding complexity, turning server's
> off & on and moving resources around probably won't be beneficial to the
> uptime off the resources & hosts. Turning nodes off also effects the
> number of quorum votes.
> If you have a major disaster when a part of the cluster is power-ed down
> you might create an scenario where the cluster can not recover itself but
> it would have recovered if all nodes were still running.
>
> I could see these features being very useful in non-ha environments like
> testing/development but most off MY customers cannot use this feature or
> would rather pay the power bill...
>
> Just my 2 cents,
>
> Robert van Leeuwen

high availability should NOT be touched by my suggestions. Since there is no
mechanism to switch off real servers at the moment there are always enough real
servers available.

Only in the next step one could think about switching off real servers not used
physically. But there should be a mechanism that takes care always having
enough real servers online in case of a failure of a real server with
resources. Perhaps this could be realized with a pool of spare real servers
that has always N free servers available.

Greetings,

--
Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff
Guardinistr. 63