[Pacemaker] Making utilizations dynamic

Robert van Leeuwen vanleeuwen at stone-it.com
Tue Jan 25 07:41:19 EST 2011

> > The only thing to do that remains would be a daemon that switches off
> > unused machines to save energy. But this could be done using STONITH
> > agents.
> >
> > Basically this would be an option to make cloud computing really green!
> >
> > Please mail me your comments about this idea. Thanks.
> >
> > Cheers,
>
> No reply, no comments? Nothing at all?

Hello Michael,

Although in theory the idea is sound I use the cluster suite primarily for customers demanding high availability.
Adding complexity, turning server's off & on and moving resources around probably won't be beneficial to the uptime off the resources & hosts.
Turning nodes off also effects the number of quorum votes.
If you have a major disaster when a part of the cluster is power-ed down you might create an scenario where the cluster can not recover itself but it would have recovered if all nodes were still running.

I could see these features being very useful in non-ha environments like testing/development but most off MY customers cannot use this feature or would rather pay the power bill...

Just my 2 cents,

Robert van Leeuwen