[Pacemaker] Service failed to load 'pacemaker'

Bart Coninckx bart.coninckx at telenet.be
Wed Dec 7 03:07:21 EST 2011

On 12/07/11 03:36, Graham Rawolle wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to run Corosync and Pacemaker onopenSUSE-11.4.
>
> There are two machines, each with 2 network interfaces.
>
> One interface on each is connected via a crossover cable on a private
> network 192.168.100.0 and the other interface is connected via a
> switch to our internal network 192.168.1.0.
>
> Routing is set up so that 192.168.100.0/24 and multicast 224.0.0.0/4
>  is directed to eth1 (the private network).
>
> *Question*- Does anyone have Corosync/Pacemaker running reliably on
> openSUSE in a production environment? If so, what versions or
> openSUSE, Corosunc and Pacemaker are you running?
>
> Initially I was running Corosync 1.3.0-3.1-x86_64 and Pacemaker
> 1.1.5-3.2-x86_64. I managed to get Pacemaker started and partly
> configured but ran in to 100% CPU issues, apparently due to a bug in
> Corosync 1.3.0 which is fixed in version 1.3.2 or higher.
>
> I have upgraded to Corosync 1.4.2-25.1 for openSUSE-11.4 from
> build.opensuse.org, but now cannot get Pacemaker to start.
>
> *Question*- Does Corosync 1.4.2 support configuring the Pacemaker
> service with "ver:0"?
>
> The openSUSE packaged versions of Pacemaker do not support configuring
> the Pacemaker service with "ver:1" (pacemakerd and pacemaker startup
> script are excluded).
>
> Corosync seems to start and run fine. Both machines are seen and join
> the membership.
>
> I get the following message in /var/log/messages :
>
> Dec 06 15:55:59 corosync [ SERV ] Service failed to load 'pacemaker'.
>
> Dec 06 15:55:59 corosync [ SERV ] Service failed to load 'pacemaker'.
>
> Note that it is repeated twice.
>
> *Question - *How can I get more info on why Pacemaker failed to start?
>
> I have the following versions installed:
>
> openSUE 11.4-1.8-x86_64
>
> Cluster-glue 1.07-9.1-x86_64
>
> Corosync 1.4.2-25.1-x86_64
>
> Pacemaker 1.1.5-3.2-x86_64
>
> Openais 1.1.4-8.1-x86_64 (installed because Pacemaker requires it)
>
> ===================================
>
> My /etc/corosync/corosync.conf file :
>
> =============
>
> # Please read the corosync.conf.5 manual page
>
> compatibility: whitetank
>
> totem {
>
>                 version: 2
>
>                 secauth: off
>
>                 threads: 0
>
>                 interface {
>
>                                 ringnumber: 0
>
>                                 bindnetaddr: 192.168.100.0
>
>                                 mcastaddr: 226.94.1.1
>
>                                 mcastport: 5405
>
>                                 ttl: 1
>
>                 }
>
> }
>
> logging {
>
>                 fileline: off
>
>                 to_stderr: no
>
>                 to_logfile: yes
>
>                 to_syslog: yes
>
>                 logfile: /var/log/cluster/corosync.log
>
>                 debug: on
>
>                 timestamp: on
>
>                 logger_subsys {

> [...]

At one time I tried, but ran into quite a lot of problems. The SLES
versions seemed to be less burdened by these. My guess is that the real
development and testing (of course) happens there.

Personally, if money is involved, I think choosing those versions is
still the wise decision, as you waste consedirably less time.
I'm not with Novell by the way  ;-)

B.