[Pacemaker] Someone using ibmrsa-telnet external stonith plugin?

Andreas Mock Andreas.Mock at web.de
Thu Mar 25 17:28:45 EDT 2010

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Florian Haas <florian.haas at linbit.com>
Gesendet: 25.03.2010 16:23:59
An: The Pacemaker cluster resource manager <pacemaker at oss.clusterlabs.org>
Betreff: Re: [Pacemaker] Someone using ibmrsa-telnet external stonith plugin?

>On 03/25/2010 04:09 PM, Andreas Mock wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> is there someone using the external stonith plugin 'ibmrsa-telnet'?
>>
>> I found some issues introduced by modifications of other contributors
>> in the currect version.
>
>Such as?

a) ha_log.sh is used to send debug messages. It is called as bash command line
without escaping dangerous characters. This leads to unwanted file creation
in the directory /var/lib/heartbeat/cores/root/    (replicateable)

b) The regex pattern for the expect command don't match. So the communication
doesn't work as originally intended. I contacted the contributor of that piece
of code. He found that error early after his contribution, but the error correction
went to /dev/null somehow.

>I am beginning to believe that everyone should start using IPMI, and
>spare themselves of these proprietary out-of-band nightmares.

There are some questions regarding this:
a) Has anyone made experiences with using IPMI through the stack running
on the OS. If I understand it right then OpenIPMI provides this kind of
in-band-communication. My understanding of STONITH was that there has
to be a way to kill a node WITHOUT a dependency on the node's health.
Is it safe to use the IPMI interface provided by a daemon running in the OS
of the node I want to shoot?

b) The newer IMM supports IPMI through the out-bound-communication
over the IMM ip address. RSA II does not have this option as far as I know
(updates welcome) what has been the reason for writing this telnet-beast.  ;-)

c) Which stonith agent is the "better" one 'ipmilan' or 'external/ipmi'?

Enlighting informations very welcome.

Best regards
Andreas Mock