[Pacemaker] Help with OCFS2 / DLM Stability

Dejan Muhamedagic dejanmm at fastmail.fm
Wed Mar 10 11:04:21 EST 2010

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 03:34:43PM -0000, Darren.Mansell at opengi.co.uk wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 13:28 +0100, Dejan Muhamedagic wrote:
>

> 	Hi,
>
> 	On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 11:37:02AM -0000, Darren.Mansell at opengi.co.uk wrote:
> 	> Hi everyone.
> 	>
> 	>
> 	>
> 	> Further to some discussions a couple of weeks ago with regard to OCFS2
> 	> on SLES 11 HAE I'm looking to finally nail this problem.
> 	>
> 	> We have a 3 node cluster that has a STONITH shootout every week. This
> 	> morning one node got stuck in a state where it couldn't be fenced due
> 	> the RSA not being responsive.
> 	>
> 	> I'm not sure if the problem is due to:
> 	>
> 	> *         Network interruption causing Totem failures.
> 	> *         Java (Tomcat) processes falling over.
>
> 	I suppose that those are activequote and activequoteadmin. You
> 	should increase the timeouts, 10 seconds is too short in general,
> 	and for java/tomcat probably even more so.
>

> I've increased those. As the monitor operation in the LSB
> script is just a pgrep I don't think it matters that the
> monitor interval is 10s but the timeout is 30s. Is this
> correct?

Yes, much better. Don't forget that there are some quite costly
operations involved with each resource operation regardless of
the nature of the operation itself (in particular forking several
processes).

> 	> *         DLM falling over.
> 	> *         Any of the above in any combination.
> 	>
> 	> I've attached a hb_report. Could you see if you can see anything?
>
> 	Any good reason to ignore quorum? For a three node cluster you
> 	should remove the no-quorum-policy property or, perhaps because
> 	of ocfs2, set it to freeze.
>

> Oops. It was a 2 node cluster. The 3rd node was added and
> obviously that property was missed.
>

> 	Pacemaker is 1.0.3, perhaps it's time to upgrade too. There is a
> 	SLE11 HAE update available.
>
> 	>From the logs:
>
> 	Mar  9 06:28:43 OGG-ACTIVEQUOTE-02 pengine: [5540]: WARN: unpack_rsc_op: Processing failed op activequote:1_monitor_10000 on OGG-ACTIVEQUOTE-03: unknown exec error
>
> 	Interestingly, there is no lrmd log for this on 03.
>
> 	Then there are several operation timeouts, perhaps due to ocfs2
> 	hanging, two activequote and activequoteadmin stop operations
> 	could not be killed even with -9, so they were probably waiting
> 	for the disk.
>
> 	Mar  9 06:29:40 OGG-ACTIVEQUOTE-02 openais[5439]: [crm  ] info: pcmk_peer_update: lost: OGG-ACTIVEQUOTE-03 504997642
>
> 	Do you know why the node vanished? You should try to keep your
> 	networking healthy.
>

> This is amazingly accurate. It turns out the datacentre had
> some scheduled maintenance we weren't aware of and pulled the
> network cable out causing this. Case solved. Although it
> doesn't explain what happened on previous occasions.

Well, when you provide a hb_report of those, perhaps we could
seek an explanation :)

Thanks,

Dejan