[Pacemaker] Low cost stonith device

Remi Broemeling remi at nexopia.com
Thu Sep 24 18:24:56 EDT 2009

Hi Mario -- I was just looking into this myself, today.  I think the
lowest cost that you'll be able to find is an IPMI card for your
motherboard (as long as the motherboard in question supports it).  To
find out you'll need to look into your specific model of motherboard and
see what is needed (or even if it is possible).  IPMI cards aren't
foolproof and have their own problems; but it's better than nothing, I
would think.

I think that your idea for fencing at the switch would be workable; but
how exactly to accomplish that would depend on the switch that you were
talking about; as the commands (and even if external ability to do so is
available) would be switch/manufacturer-dependent.

Of course even lower cost (but even more problematic) is simply using
external/ssh to shutdown the server to be killed, as that should be free.

See here for more documentation on STONITH:
http://www.clusterlabs.org/mediawiki/images/f/f2/Crm_fencing.pdf

--

Remi Broemeling
Sr System Administrator

Nexopia.com Inc.
direct: 780 444 1250 ext 435
email: remi at nexopia.com <mailto:remi at nexopia.com>
fax: 780 487 0376

www.nexopia.com <http://www.nexopia.com>

I like you. You remind me of when I was young and stupid.
Things you would love to say at work but can't